Thursday, 18 November 2010

The Humberstone Militia

I have been thinking about my 1938VBCW force based on where I live. The area has changed alot from then and I have been very lucky in that my father in law as a book about the history of the area since the beginning of the century but maninly the 30s, 40s and 50s. Coupled with seeing some of the needlepoint pictures that my wife's mother has done on the local area and a picture produced by the WI of the village with all the old landmarks on it got me thinking why dont I base my VBCW force on my local area and the Humberstone Militia was born.

So far I have done a little research on the area and know that there used to be a Hall that was owned by a banking family and an MP. This has and in fact even in 1938 had gone, but I thought what the heck I am going to keep it. The family that owned the hall and the land around was the Pagets and the Levys. So using that as my basis I am visioning a small militia group and of three to four sections from the local area. There was some housing for a shoe factory, so a workers section is there, and a section from the village and farms and grounds workers. Of course there is the family and the loacl church of St Mary's with a section of uniformed troopers.

I am going to flesh out more on each section as I get them painted, at the moment I have finished the farm/ground workers and working on the shoe workers. Hopefully I should have them finished for 38fest in Jan 11.

Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I have finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...