A Very British Civil Forum

A Very British Civil Forum
For a Great Forum on Interwar Conflicts, SCW and VBCW click this way

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Saturday, 21 January 2012

Time to Add Some Support

Between focusing on feeding my Father in Laws cats and writing a job application, I have also decided to add some much needed support to my forces for VBCW. So for my regulars of the Tigers I have added a Vickers HMG from Warlord Games. Its a very nice little group of figures and fits together rather well. I have only painted the flesh completely and just started the uniforms, just based and washed at this moment. Hopefully I should get to do a little more today.


I have also decided to add, more for my militias a Trench Catapult from Great War Miniatures. I think the very idea of a catapult being used is so VBCW and I had to have it and they are lovely sculpts if a little larger than my usual Musketeer, Warlords and Gripping Beast. Again this is at the same stage as the above.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen the catapult and often wondered how I could justify it, but I think the peculiarities of VBCW is just perfect! Can't wait to see it progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and I too are waiting on seeing how it will turn out. Now off to feed the cats.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting!!!..... a catapult????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trench catapult.

      Improvised catapults were up-graded versions of the schoolboy 'Y' format catapult made in the trenches and intended to give further range to the standard, or improvised, hand grenade. They were thought to be particularly hazardous to the user and were not officially approved.

      A more sophisticated 6 foot high version of the 'Y' catapult was designed by C.P. Leach. The machine was made and despatched to the Western Front by the sports department of the London department store Gamages from mid -1917. It was supplied at the rate of 20 per BEF Division. The frame was made out of 2-inch thick (ash) wood. Each arm was tapered outward at the end to provide strong anchor-points for the twelve bands of natural rubber and was cross braced for added strength. A double cranking device was incorporated to tension the multiple rubber bands. The machine propelled a two pound hand grenade for up to160 yards when the elastic bands were new; far in excess of the best 'overarm bowled' hand grenade which only had a range of around 30 yards.

      The fast rate of deterioration of the elasticity of the rubber bands meant that the catapult was usually reserved for more important operations rather than put to daily use.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...