A Very British Civil Forum

A Very British Civil Forum
For a Great Forum on Interwar Conflicts, SCW and VBCW click this way

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Monday, 29 April 2013

WIP The Duck Pond

Over on the Very British Civil Forum we are having a little fun project about doing a small vignette and I have decided to do something a little different, that being I am making a duck pond. Now tell me if you can think of anything more British than a village duck pond? Here are some work on process shots of it. The only problem I have at the moment is how to do the water, I am thinking of watered down PVA, but I am not totally sure on the mix of PVA to water.

Here is the start.


At this stage I have flocked and textiled the base.



Now I have finished the base and it fully painted. My next task before I fill the pond with "water" is to make a duckboard or jetty to project into the pond. So its off to find the balsa and matchsticks to create a small projection into the pond. I still have the grass and moss to add but I figured that I'll do that after I have added the "water" which is scaring the heck out of me in case it goes wrong. Anyway here is the latest stage.



More to come I think once I have worked out how to do the water, any ideas?

11 comments:

  1. Pva and water will take an age to dry if put on in any meaningful depth. Don't worry about the amount of water to PVA the more you add the longer it will take to dry.

    If I was to do it I would use clear varnish as it will give a greater reflective depth. If you can, pour it and don't brush it as it will take out any brush marks.

    Just my thoughts.

    For totally English village green I would have done the very obvious cricket stumps but with the players gone off to war. SO the pond will stand out as something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the water I'd suggest either using water effect stuff that railway modelers use or gloss acrylic gel. You should paint the bottom of the pond first then add the gel over it in several layers, possibly with some green/brown/grey ink mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go with what Tamsin said, its great stuff, a little expensive, but well worth it.

      Delete
  3. Javis do some good cheap stuff, which I'll be using for my marsh

    http://www.javis.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&product_id=3533&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others, lovely work by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used Vallejo still water which seems to do the trick, although you will need to mix in a little colour. Now what would be more VBCW than a stonking great mine stick in the middle of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a tranquil water scene will be spot on PK. I've not done water effects before so I've no ideas.

    Cracking job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, PK! The ducks are patiently waiting I see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Envirotex Lite varnish is excellent for water effects. I wouldn't touch Woodland Scenics stuff as it's a real swine to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks there for all your advice on the matter and I have got some Vallejo Gel Denso which looks like it would do the trick. Thin layers is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...