A Very British Civil Forum

A Very British Civil Forum
For a Great Forum on Interwar Conflicts, SCW and VBCW click this way

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Thursday, 29 August 2013

Home Made Roads

Now I started this project a few months back trying to make roads for Partizan and my games but I never got far as i was never very happy with the results. So I went back to basics and it the wargamers best shop friend, Wilkos and got 2 packs of their Wilko Floor Tiles Vinyl White 305mmx305mm 6 Pack, for £3.95 per pack. These tiles have a pattern on them thats looks like cobbles or tarmac.


Now tiles are self adhesive and the problem with them is the backing as it comes off rather easily. I tried mounting them back to back but I found the height of them a little too tall so i decided to mount them of simple paper and this worked a treat. I cut the roads to 7.5cm stripes which meant that you could get four straight sections from one tile. After mounting them I sprayed them with Army Painters Uniform Grey and them washed them with black paint, very watery paint.


After the wash has dried I lightly drybrushed them with grey again to bring out the details and then using Army Painters Brown Battlefield scatter and Grass Green scatter on the side of the roads to give the feel of a verge.


Here is some close up shots.




Now I have managed to make about 20 foot of roads using these two packs which uses I spend about a tenner in all making them. Now the important question is what do you think.

28 comments:

  1. Look like roads to me mate, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those have come out really well. The road surface looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work look forward to seeing them in action soon
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James and they will be in action on Sunday at Partizan and then at BlogCon too

      Delete
  4. Nice idea and good looking roads, PK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could anyone NOT be impressed, these look great

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat idea using the floor tiles for the texture. Simple effective and I might have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Clint as they are easy to do and takes very little time bar waiting for paint to dry, lol

      Delete
  7. They look really good mate!
    (Must get around to making my roads sometime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JP and I know what you mean as I have be faffing about with them on and off since the beginning of the year. My next project is rivers

      Delete
  8. They are bloomin' brilliant Sir. What a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Michael its amazing what you can find of use in Wilko's

      Delete
  9. They work well and look effective

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea for the roads. I need to go to Wilko tomorrow, so I may well be stealing that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um yeah, we don't have any Wilko's over here. So, um... you just make me some and send them to me, 'kay?

    That would work if I were a gorgeous blonde with a firm... well, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that would work and thats there J Womark, Esq

      Delete
  12. Excellent job!! What an obvious solution to the self adhesive 'problem'! Why didn't I think of it?

    Conversely, I've got about ten miles of rivers to make now!

    :O(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers there and is was but it took about six months for me to work it out though, lol. Good luck with the rivers

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...