Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Can You Ever Have Enough Hedges

I have recently noticed that I dont seem to have enough hedges, do we ever have enough hedges? So after making some hedges for the Partizan Game using green scourers and covering them in Noch leaves I thought that I need some more hedges but I wanted them to be more countryside hedges rather than the nice ones you find in a garden or park. So I went back to basics and got the green scourers and doubled the size to be twice as thick and teased the scourer to make it rough and ready. Then I simply painted it black and then dryish brushed in Vallejo Camo Green and then then Sunshine Yellow and I think the results are rather nice. I was thinking about putting leaves on it but actually I like the look without it. You can see in the background of some of the pictures the bare naked scourers await the painting process and hopefully you can see the teased effect. What do you think?






24 comments:

  1. Now funnily enough, I was thinking of making some hedges just the other day so a great tip here - thank you Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to be of service Michael and it all in the distressing the scourers

      Delete
  2. Very nice work PK! Very effective result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope you can never have enough hedges. And if you ever find that you do have enough you will realise they are all for one season and then suddenly you will be short of hedges all over again.

    Nice work on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint now you have done it as I well be making hedges for the rest of my life, lol

      Delete
  4. Like Clint (that sounds like a 70's movie title) in answer to your initial question. NO you can never have enough hedges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a title to a 70s hit movie

      Delete
  5. The timing of your post is impeccable as my hedges are currently glued to their bases awaiting the very same treatment, and I was wondering to myself if it would look any good.
    Bravo Sir, now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ste Haran I use a very stiff domestic paint brush thats about three quarters an inch wide as went you are drybrushing them the stiff hairs actually fluff up the scourer and may it even more bushy

      Delete
  6. Nice Work Pete, they look very country lane. Another way you could go is my cheap and cheerful (but quick) method.

    Soak the scourer in PVA glue, and cover in flock, then add more varieties of flock to get that rougher look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Smillie and thats the look I am after and I like your method too, saves on the painting.

      Delete
  7. Great idea! Those are some nice looking hedges! Today I posted a tutorial about greenery too: shrubs!
    Greetings, Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofie your shrubs are great and the tutorial is amazing and I am glad you like these

      Delete
  8. Spot on - you always need more hedges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Dave and I think I will making more of these

      Delete
  9. Nice work! I feel a lack of hedges too. It seems to be a wargaming staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A J I think it is one of those things where you never have enough

      Delete
  10. I have a box of green pan scourers waiting for just this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John it is quick and easy to do but not so gentle on the tips of the fingers when teasing the scourers

      Delete
  11. Sweet! PK. And NO! you can't ever have enuff hedges to hide behind and maneuver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay and I know I am going to be making them for years to come.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...