A Very British Civil Forum

A Very British Civil Forum
For a Great Forum on Interwar Conflicts, SCW and VBCW click this way

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Thursday, 14 August 2014

Bricks, Dust and the Farm

Well I have made a start and completed the brickwork for the farm and I have to say it has come out rather nicely. But there has been a couple of problems with it too but firstly the positives. I tried to recreate that Victorian brick look that is rather common around here in Leicestershire and i was a little shocked to find out that uniformed the colour of the older Victorian bricks are especially compared to the 1930s bricks and the modern ones.


As I was surprised by the colour of them too as they are a lot more pinker that reddy brown colour so I have painted then in Vallejo Game Colours' Tan as the base coat. I then washed it using a very watery black paint to pick out the bricks and mortar and give it that old brick look. Now a word to the wise, the filla I used for the bricks had an unforeseen effect when the wash was added and that was to wash away some of the details in some areas, no totally sure why as it was dry when used but maybe I should of let the filla to dry for longer, but strangely the effect actually enhanced the overall as it made it look like weathering.



So once the black/grey wash had dried I then sort of drybrushed the brickwork again with the Tan colour and then worked up the colour by adding Vallejo Model Colour |Deck Tan to lighten it and bring out more details. I was pleased the this brought out the details very well and the rough rendering I did before the scoring of the brickwork made the whole effect a lot more natural.



Now that the brickwork has been completed and it looks to me like the farm is actually being built, the next part is the lintels and the roof to be done. The question is what colour to paint them. The roofing tiles I think I am going to paint them slate grey as that is the most common roofing around here but the lintels thats another question. I am thinking of painting them that 1930s grey/green colour along with the doors and having the window painted white or I might paint them black, we will have to wait and see.

Anyway back to the farm and everyone have a nice day.

Ta

PK

17 comments:

  1. That Farm is looking Fantastic. Excellent work, I'm Impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Clint wait to you see it fully

      Delete
  2. Stunning work !
    The brickwork is really impressing and I'm looking forward to seeing the next progress.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Stafan and i am glad you like the brickwork

      Delete
  3. That's a very nice pieice of work and it's no cake walk either - talk about labour intensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gray and yes it has been of a labour of love

      Delete
  4. Good work !
    not easy to find the good colours for bricks or tiles !
    they are not always exactly alike.
    Good luck for the roofs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Sam and I have admit I am sick at looking at bricks, lol

      Delete
  5. Been great watching this take shape on facebook good sir! Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...