Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Down on the Farm

Well I have finished rendering the farm and started on the carving for the brickwork as the farms around here are brick rather rendered, the buggers, I wish the farmers had rendered their buildings as it would of been a lot easier to do.


So out with the steel ruler and my new sculpting tools and I scored horizontal lines to start with and then vertical ones that where offset to gave the impression of brickwork. Now I didn't quite make the rendered surface total smooth, in fact it was quite a bit bumpy but actually when I started the vertical lines down it gave the impression of old bricks and actually looks right.


 
I know the bricks are a little on the large side but I rather like them like that and the fact I would of gone insane if I had them to scale, there would of been bloody hundreds if not thousands of them to do and I think that they would of looked a mess.



I think when working in miniature scale, especially a very small scale, it is better to exaggerate it and give a good impression than to go for scale. Now that I have finished all the brickwork, I am aiming for that Victorian or Edwardian feel to the farm I think the oversize brick work and looks rather nice when the whole farm is together.



Now the lintels are in place and drying the next part to come is the painting of it. I am going to go for the terracotta colour for the bricks with a bit of red in it to redden it up a bit and I guess this is where the fun starts.

Ta

PK

28 comments:

  1. Really nice work. Have you done the brick work whilst it's built or worked on each individual piece on the flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark I actually worked on the bricks whilst it was built but in hindsight it would of been easier and better to do it whilst flat on the individual pieces

      Delete
    2. Wow, and you still achieved really neat lines of brick work.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Clint and i am glad that you like it so far.

      Delete
  3. Yeah over sized bricks work just fine. This farm is the business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Robert and I too like the farm.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, we're loving this. Do you know if the bricks are rendered you could get away with painting it any colour you like. May I ask where the roof tiles came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael and I am glad you are enjoying this. I wish that the farm around here had rendered bricks believe I do. The roofing tiles come from WarBases, where else would I get my terrain needs, lol. They do five different styles of them and they are very good and rather cheap too at two quid per A4 sheet

      Delete
    2. I'm defiantly going to have to get some of those.

      Delete
  5. This is going to be great, love the work so far

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ian and coming from a master builder I am very pleased.

      Delete
  6. That's skillful and patient work Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Fran but I would say I am that skillful if you see the mistakes I have made, lol

      Delete
  7. Absolutely smashing stuff PK. Can't wait to see it painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats there Michael and the paint work is coming along soon.

      Delete
  8. This is really very nice modeling, PK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay and from you who is a master modeller too

      Delete
  9. Lovely progress. Inpires me to try the same. If I had time...

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Stefan and I hope you do find the time

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work on the bricks PK! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Rodger and I am rather pleased with the brickwork

      Delete
  11. While it is a lot of work, the results look amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, fabulous work! The entire structure has such a great, natural feel about it (hard to reproduce from a commercial kit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Curt but I think the dolls house gives such a good basis that everything else has been childplay

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...