Monday, 11 August 2014

The Windmill and the The Farm for Other Partizan

Well enforced to be off work has had a couple of pluses and that is I have been able to crack on with the Windmill and the farm but to the Windmill first. The windmill from WarBases, my go to place for all my MDF needs, has come along rather nicely. After cladding the small store hut with wooden coffee stirrers for McDs, I got to the main body of the windmill and to painting it. Now I did think of what colour to paint it and thought to paint it in natural wood colour or black/black brown colour but instead I went for a colour that always reminds me of windmills, white.


So I set about painting the woodwork and planks white and making them a little like that had been painted by hand and also a little weathered. I also wanted to contrast this with black slating for the roof and to add a little colour in the form of that iconic green from the 1930s for the doors and shutters.


I thought about the sails/blades of the mill and what colour that they should be and was going to paint them dark brown until I looked at some reference material and realised that them are usually painted black so I did that and painted them black.


I have to say I am rather pleased with the kit, it is simple to put together and a simple addition of a store hut at the back makes it in my personal option and the whole thing came under ten pounds too which aren't too bad either.



Now I still have a base to add to it and so sacks and barrels to be placed along it and maybe a miller too if I have the time.



Now to the farm. This beauty is from Petite Properties and is in fact a 1/48th or quarter scale dolls house or farm. I have to say firstly it is a big kit with lots of parts to put together and it is not a kit to rush. To give you an idea on just how big it is the dimensions are, 23cm wide, 15.8cm high and 16.3cm in depth and it comes with window frames, door and even "glass" to put into the windows. Now this is a shell for you to work on but the instructions are some of the best I have ever seen and even gives ideas on have to rendered and texture the farm.


As it is just the shell with no texture or patterning on it I have decided I needed a little more to the building. True I could of just painted it as it is saying that it is a fine render but I wanted a little more to it. So I have used a filla to create a texture to the farm a sort of render as you like and put it on roughly at first and then smoothed it after using a palette knife.


But now I cant decide if I want a render or to do brick work, like most of the farm building in Leicestershire. Now as this is going to be for my Very British Civil War game, as is the windmill, at Other Partizan in September and like all the other VBCW games it is being set in Leicestershire I guess it should be brick work.


So I am going to let this dry overnight and see about adding a brickwork pattern to the filla texture and seeing what it will look like. If worst comes to the worst I could re-render it again.

Anyway have a great day.

Ta

PK

27 comments:

  1. The windmill looks absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work the windmill Petal. Warbases are a great company to do business with and produce nice products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there and their really are a great company to deal with

      Delete
  3. The edition of the storage room to the mill really makes it stand out it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That windmill is great, you must have massive amounts of storage space

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian and I thought I would try and catch up me you on the building making front but space is tight

      Delete
  5. I like the way you are texturing the barn. And Nice weatherboarding on the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! That windmill kit would also make a fine dice tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon and you know I never thought of that but you are right it would

      Delete
  8. Windmill looks great can't wait to see it finished on the base. Is that the farmhouse as well behind it? Looks like a monster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian and yes that is the farmhouse in the background.

      Delete
  9. Those look really good. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are tremendous Pete and your addition of the storehouse is a masterstroke. I love the bold sails, interestingly down here in East Sussex they are predominately white, but that might be a modern day phenomenon due to planning regulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Michael and I bet its really to with the whim of the miller or a county thing.

      Delete
  11. They do make some nice pieces don't they. The windmill looks great in white I think.
    Brickwork on the farmhouse would be good, but oh the work involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks there Anne and I have made a start on the brickwork and it is looking rather nice.

      Delete
  12. Nice looking "stuff", PPK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The windmill turned out excellent, Pete. Stunning piece of terrain.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of the farm.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Windmill looks awesome. I'm thinking how I can squeeze one into across the dead earth now lol. Looking forward to seeing how the render/brickwork turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...