A Very British Civil Forum

A Very British Civil Forum
For a Great Forum on Interwar Conflicts, SCW and VBCW click this way

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Google Plus Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page
Wargame Bloggers Quarterly Facebook Page

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Some Viking/Saxon Levies

Well I have realised that I need some extra levies for my Saxons and Vikings so I have finished off another unit of them. I have made them sort of generic so that they can be fielded by either the Saxons or the Vikings but I still think that they are full of character.


These are from Gripping Beasts wonderful Dark Age Warrior plastic set and I think they work well. There is a ton of different options you can give these chaps and if fat when you mix and match with the Vikings and Saxons set you have a ton of different ideas for them and it makes them rather unique.


I have gone for slingers with this unit of levies and this set give you the option to make them. Now I am sure that slingers didn't carrier a shield into battle but I rather like them with one and to my mind I would carry one to protect myself.



I have used a brighter palette on these than normal with bright trim and I think it rather works. I have added a few pastels colours too and some rich earthy colours to uniform the unit. Now not all the figures in the unit are slingers as some carrier spears and javelins and some are wearing helmets to give the unit a little bit of interest and also to allow me a bit of flexibility when force designing.


Again I have added LittleBigMen Studios transfers, from their Dark Age range, I think some of these are actually generic Germanic/Saxon shields because I rather liked them and they added a bit more interest to the unit. I have to say that I am totally impressed with these designs as I am with all of LSM transfers.


Now there is still a competition going on until the end of this month if you would like to win a painting of a Viking by me. All you need to do is to comment on this thread HERE to be put in the hat. I am hoping that either next Sunday or Monday to do the draw and the lucky winner be announced. So pop over and have a go.

Have a great day.

PK

12 comments:

  1. Top shelf stuff, PK - you've put in some hard graft on these lads and it shows, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stuff Pete. The basing is spot on and really compliments your efforts with the brush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work mate. You seem to have a flare for painting this sort of period. It has to be some of your best work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very nice PK! Wonderful colours that you have used, they really look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really are lovely Pete and I love all the effort you put into the bases as well - top notch Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work, PK. They're full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cracking work, Pete. The shields and the textures and colours on the clothes are terrific. I especially like the faces - they look like a bunch of cranky middle aged men who have gotten worked up after a natter at the pub, grabbed their weapons, and decided to do something about things.
    Great work - I should get a set of these to augment my GW Rohirrim foot.
    Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice mate - I particularly like the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything here is perfect : shields, faces, clothes and bases...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am amazed at the details on the shields. Adds realism to the minis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Real Cool Stuff on Display.Yes,Indeed. Very Nice Work! Beano Boy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...