Thursday, 5 February 2015

Conan, a Kickstarter and the Winner

Hiya all and I hope that you are having a good day. I don't know about everyone else but what got me into fantasy and in a way into wargame and role playing many moons ago wasn't Lord of the Rings but actually Robert E Howard's Conan. Now dont get me wrong as there is nothing wrong with Lord of the Rings, something which I love with its epic adventure but it really is a one trip campaign and a lot of walking about with a couple of greats fights. The Death of Boromir is one of those great scenes as is the battles of Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields but for me fantasy is about high adventure and daring does, with larger than life characters and this is why to me Conan wins. I also think it has a lot to do with my age when I first discovered these books, being fourteen I think I found Robert E Howard's writing style a little easier to read that JRR Tolkien's and also the Conan books are a lot smaller than Lord of the Rings which helped to, as like must fourteen year old I had and still do have the attention span of a goldfish.


Of course the artwork of people like Brom had an influence on my decision too, I wonder why, and a long with him and Chris Achilleos, both of whom I wondered to paint like at the time and in a way still do, really brought the world to life in a way Lord of the Rings never did for me. So what is this all about then?


Well you can imagine my surprise when I saw that someone, okay, Monolith Board Games, I new name to me, what planning a game based on Howard's world and what's more you can actually play Conan. Well this got my interest up straight away. I know that they has been other Conan games out there, like Age of Conan and the Conan RPG but these only allowed you to play in the world of Conan and this game actually allows you to be Conan. Also I was pleasantly surprised to see the level of detail they have gone to to get the setting, the character and the whole package just right, they even have Patrice Louinet as a consultant, who is a world renowned expert on this Howard's life and works, including Conan.


Now this got me about the detail they are go too to bring this game to life and though I am a big fan of the Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan films, I was rather relieved that it was based on the books of Conan and not a rerun of the film. Coupled with this was the amazing artwork of Adrian Smith and art direction Monolith are taking and I was totally hooked. Now I am not going to get into the game mechanicals, which are nice and simple but very interesting at the same time, other than to say it is a strange hybrid game start up to four players playing Conan and his friends playing co-operatively on one side and playing against a Overlord on the other. I have not seen this in a game before, not that I am a great big board game player.


So I checked out the Kickstarter and was amazed by what I saw, lots of miniatures that where wonderful sculpted some by ex Rackham figure designers, so you know that they are going to be good and checked out the videos on what the game play is going to be like and I brought into it as I so want this game to be produced. You get a ton of figures in the basic game, some seventy four of them in 32mm scale, and with the King pledge there is even more. Add to this all the stretch goals you get a lot of figures for your buck as well has other stuff too, making this worth the $90 for the basic game or $135 for the King pledge. The artwork on the gaming boards are stunning as are the character boards too and if they can been this all to life I will be way heck of a happy chap.




So if you are a fan of Conan and who isn't or I have raised your interest pop over the to Conan Kickstarter and see if this a game for you, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. But you are going to have to be quick as the Kickstarter is due to finish on Wednesday, Feb 11 2015 at 5:55 PM GMT. I have never joined in a Kickstarter before, came very close with Mars Attacks by Mantic Games but this has gone me and for the price you get a hell of a lot of stuff. The game is slated for October this year I am hoping to have a very nice early Christmas present from myself.


Now to the lucky winner of this Viking, well a painted version of it once I have a bit of time to paint him which will be in the next couple of week, is, drum roll please:


Michael Peterson

So Congratulations there to you Michael and if you would like to seen me your details to pete.barfield at sky dot com, there is a link at the top of my blog, I will get them out to you as soon as I have finished it. This might take a couple of weeks as I am in the middle of organising a game for Hammerhead and new things keep popping up that need to be done. So once again congratulations to you Michael and I am truly sorry than not everyone could win but I will be painting forever.

I hope you all have a good day and please check up the Conan Kickstarter.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats to Michael.
    I am a fan of Conan (misspent yoof!) I have become jaded by Kicksterters. There are just so many of them. So not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Michael, will have a look at Conan though LotR's really got me gripped but so did The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Michael! Conan does look great. They seem to have rocketed to a massive amount of product to fit in one box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conan (plus Kull, and Brak and Thongor etc) started me off too PK - I'm in on the King Pledge with this kickstarter,(my first ever) and can't wait to see all those goodies in the flesh! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone mad with this KS (only the second one I have backed), because it is based on REH's vision. Like you first read Conan when I was about 12/13 and love it ever since, also agree with your comparison with Tolkien. Hopeful this game will be out by Xmas 2015 at the very least, due to the popularity I'm not certain October will be doable due to the number of stretch goals reached. But glad to wait for a top notch product than a rushed job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Conan too and nearly went for this bit I just don't enjoy board games as I am too stupid to play them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I come from the same Conan background. I found Conan when I was like 11 or 12, and Conan books were the very first books I ever purchased for myself voluntarily. I saw those Boris covers, and something hit me. I actually found something I WANTED to read. I had to know what was going on here!
    Man, it was awesome. The books were awesome.
    The original movies? Meh. Conan has very distinctive, ice-blue eyes.
    So far, none of the movies have even gotten that right, and it's supposedly one of his defining features, along with his muscles and his Cimmerian accent.
    The movies have only gotten worse, and further from the books, unfortunately.

    I might find 90 bucks on payday, I dunno.
    Actually- the most interesting thing about the KS page was finding out that the Conan MMORPG is still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness! How very exciting! That just made my day! I'll email you Pete.
    Conan - I never really got Conan until i discovered a comic series by fellow Canadian from the 1980s called Cerebus the Aardvark, which started life as a Cerebus parody and then evolved into goodness knows what. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently trying not to go too bonkers with this one as I've too many other recent campaigns that ended with all-ins. It is very tempting to grab it all though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...